- Studying Computer Science at the University of British Columbia (2017)
- Spent 8 months at Hootsuite (January – August 2016)
- Joined our Platform team
- Worked with Scala, Play, Akka, Slick, and PHP
His Key Contributions
- Implemented parts of Hootsuite’s connection to the YouTube API
- Contributed to Hootsuite’s Twitter streaming systems
- Designed processes for identifying stream users to backfill in case of an outage
In His WordsHootsuite, being my second co-op experience, has given me a better understanding of what it means to be able to scale. The culture of Hootsuite is one of working out loud; even though it is larger than a single-team startup, the friendliness and willingness of my coworkers to help didn’t make Hootsuite feel so large. The size of Hootsuite combined with the autonomy they give their co-ops meant that I was never left wanting for interesting and challenging work.
Working on the Platform team was a educational and memorable experience. I saw some challenges that arise from disassembling Hootsuite’s PHP monolith and rebuilding those pieces in services that scale. As well, learning and using Scala demonstrated how functional programming makes it easier to reason about the behaviour of large systems.
Like what you see?
We’d love to work with you. Speak to your co-op advisor and check out our careers page.