- Studying computer science at UBC (2015)
- Spent 4 months at Hootsuite (September – December 2016)
- Joined our Platform team
- Connect with me on LinkedIn and follow me on Github
- Built, tested and documented external API endpoints
- Designed process for migrating Scala libraries to new build servers
- Integrated new testing framework for integration tests
- Contributed to building a new Scala microservice that handles operations for our App Directory integrations
- Researched and cleaned up inconsistencies in endpoint permission checks
- Wrote a blog post on my lessons learned building Hootsuite’s API
My ExperienceHootsuite was the first time I had done co-op at a large company and it has been a tremendous learning opportunity for me. I learned all about effective software development practices like automation, deployment, version controls and code reviews. On top of that, I got to work with cool technologies like Scala, Jenkins and Docker. My favorite aspect was getting to work so closely with Scala, a functional programming language. It’s fairly different from other languages I’ve used at school and work and has been a breath of fresh air.
The people have also been fantastic. There’s a big culture of collaboration at Hootsuite, so I never felt scared to ask for help when I needed it. Pretty much everybody is just one Slack message away and will go out of their way to help you. On the other hard, mentors and managers also gave me plenty of space to explore independently as well. Because of these two factors, I’ve greatly enjoyed my work here and learned a ton.