- Studying Computer Science at the University of British Columbia (2015)
- Spent 8 months at Hootsuite (September 2015 – April 2016)
- Joined our Dashboard Buzz team, then moved to Dashboard for second term
- Follow @jekyllwulf on Instagram
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
His Key Contributions
- Implemented code that is used to block spammers, resulting in bribery emails from said spammers
- Upgraded the Twitter API in a systematic manner that resulted in no down-time or user reports
- Added a password strength checker for security and created various graphs to display the data collected for a better understanding of typical password strengths
- Implemented the YouTube feedback modal, including integrating the WuFoo API used for feedback collection and implementing the backend component and controller
- Assisted in tagging a selected number of small unit tests to create a script for developers to run locally to check their code before committing
- Implemented a function that automatically syncs a user’s social network avatar if it becomes stale
- Wrote a blog post about Code Reviews
Since this was my first co-op in this field (I already have a degree in Chemistry and have some work experience in that industry), I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. I had heard that Hootsuite was a cool and fun company to work for, but from my past experiences working for a medium sized company, I felt as though I had a good idea of the type of work environment I would be in: not feeling as though I was part of the company due to the sheer number of employees, a lot of meetings that are irrelevant to my work, and being put on a project where my contributions would be minimal. As time went by after my start date, I realized that I couldn’t have been more wrong.Like what you see?
While Hootsuite is a medium sized company, it definitely does not feel like one. I found that at my past companies, the size of the company made me feel as though I blended into the background and became just another face that nobody recognizes. At Hootsuite, I was made to feel like part of the team right off the bat. My being on the Buzz team allows me to interact with many different teams and people since I am fixing customer facing bugs. Everyone has been so welcoming and super helpful whenever I have any questions (which is quite often). The work that I do has an immediate impact on users and I am frequently encouraged to give demos to show my accomplishments to others.
Not only do I feel as though my contributions are significant, I feel as though all of the meetings that I attend are relevant and even quite fun! Hootsuite’s emphasis on work culture has really paid off and has resulted in this awesome work environment that is not only conducive to productivity but is also very fun. I honestly couldn’t have asked for a better co-op. 10/10 would work here again.
We’d love to work with you. Speak to your co-op advisor and check out our careers page.