- Studying Interaction Design at Simon Fraser University (2017)
- Spent 4 months at Hootsuite (May – August 2015)
- Joined our Product Design team
- Worked with @nredmond, @jdarmstrong29, @pdon
- Follow me @jameswng
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Worked on launching Instagram for Hootsuite
- Published a blog post titled What They Don’t Teach You at Design School
- More exciting super secret projects coming soon!
My ExperienceI’ve had an amazing time working on the Product Design team and the past few months feel like they’ve just flown by. I’ve probably learnt more practical skills during my time here than during my 3 years in school. There’s no better way to learn than working with real constraints and designing for real people.
I’d say the best part of the Hootsuite internship experience is that you’re treated like a full-time employee through and through. The projects I worked on were challenging, highly collaborative and impacted millions of users. Though that’s not to say that you’re just thrown into the fire on the first day with the expectation of performing as well as everybody else. The mentorship experience was stellar, from the minute I walked in the door I was supported by every member of my team and had regular 1:1s with my Design Manager.
There is never a dull moment working here, from dogs running around the office to impromptu helicopter rides, the culture here is ‘work hard, play hard’. But looking back it’s the awesome people I’ve met that I’ll remember the most.
I’m a big believer in getting work experience. It’s simply not enough sitting in a classroom learning about theories and sketching out concepts. If you’re looking to grow a designer, this is the place to be.