- Studying Computer Science at the University of British Columbia (2018)
- Spent 4 months at Hootsuite (May – August 2016)
- Joined our Platform Team
- Worked with Python, Scala, Go, Bash, Play, Mesos, Marathon, Docker, Jenkins, Akka, Sensu, Registrator, Consul, and SumoLogic
- Connect with Jerry on LinkedIn
- Helped develop a Scala microservice which coordinates deployments between some Hootsuite microservices and Marathon, a container orchestration platform for Apache Mesos
- Wrote python/bash scripts to streamline Jenkins, run Sensu checks on Docker containers, query http endpoints, and roll Amazon Machine Images
- Improved service registration mechanism and security of microservices architecture
- Published a blog post on Abstracting Marathon Deployment Details from Microservices
My ExperienceI joined Hootsuite because I was intrigued by the idea of working on the Platform team. I had prior experience as a front end developer, but I wanted to gain perspective on the different facets of software development. After four months, Hootsuite has given me a holistic view of the development lifecycle — from how the repository is first set-up, to exposing endpoints, adding API calls to other services, and building the code and its dependencies.
Hootsuite is an awesome place to work because of the people there. There are many exceptional engineers who are always ready to help, co-workers who care about your success, and opportunities to build friendships. Such a collaborative environment is no coincidence – it’s a result of a culture that has been instilled and sustained by employees for many years. Throughout my work term, I encountered technical challenges that called for very different solutions. Following the principle of using the best tool for the job, I used four programming languages to solve problems that our team faced. I also witnessed the importance of employing pre-existing tech such as Docker, Mesos and Marathon, Akka toolkit, etc — we were able to focus on innovating solutions to issues that mattered most to our customers.