- Studying a Business and Computer Science combined major at the University of British Columbia (2017)
- Spent 8 months at Hootsuite (May – December 2016)
- Joined Security and Compliance Team
- Worked using Bash, CLI, and Go Lang
- Connect Kerri on LinkedIn
- Built a tool for Security and DevOps team to stay updated on the latest CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures) that impacts the software installed on production servers, and act upon them in real time
- Found security bugs from pentesting new features prior to their launch
- Established a new process to consolidate pentesting workflows for better tracking of KPIS on effort spent and findings for better tracking of KPIs
- Carried out threat modeling exercise on new products before integration
- Acted as on-call Security Engineer to resolve immediate alerts
My ExperienceWorking at Hootsuite’s security and compliance team inspired me to be a security engineer! 🙂 There are 3 things that directly contribute to my enjoyment of the work:
- My team, to begin with, are so wild, yet so passionate about what they do. Being given the chance to resolve real security alerts, pentest products to find vulnerabilities, and build tools to facilitate security operations, they have opened a world of fun, challenges, and learning opportunities for me which I am particularly thankful for.
- My colleagues here, secondly, are super supportive, easy-going and fun to be around with. I had never felt the anxiety to meet new friends, or to put in extra effort to be part of the company.
- Last but not least, the working-out-loud culture that is unique in Hootsuite. It has taught me the idea of sharing is caring, to not be afraid to share my progresses or thoughts since others are always aware of what you do and be able to offer any ideas or helps even when you are not in needs.