- Studying Computer Engineering at Memorial University (2016)
- Spent 8 months total at Hootsuite: January – April and September – December 2015
- Joined our Operations Engineering Team and Android Mobile Team
- (Ops) Worked with AWS, Ansible, and New Relic
- (Android) Worked with Dagger, Butterknife, Retrolambda, RxJava
- Follow me @NeilPower on Twitter
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Improved the Hashtag Suggestion feature in the Compose Screen
- Worked on the In-App Purchasing upgrade
- Wrote internal scripts to improve team workflows
- Fixed some bugs in our App
- Wrote a blog post about upgrading to our app to support Marshmallow
- Helped roll out New Relic to our applications and servers
- Moved our Sensu servers behind Cosign authentication
- Published a blog post about monitoring with New Relic
- Helped manage Hootsuite servers on AWS
Android TermMy second co-op term with Hootsuite was fantastic and I’m very happy that I was given the opportunity to return to Hootsuite. I had previously made a point of never repeating co-op terms in the same company but for Hootsuite I had to make an exception. Working here has been a lot of fun and I have learned a great deal about Android development in my last four months here. It has been a pleasure working with such a great team.
In my four months here, I have been exposed to many new technologies which are key to many successful Android apps. The team here is very customer focused and fast moving, they have inspired me to further pursue Android development professionally after graduation.
Ops TermIt’s an exciting time to be a part of the Operations Engineering team here at Hootsuite. Coming into my fifth co-op term, I didn’t know what to expect. My previous internships had taken me out of my hometown of St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador to work in telecommunications in Ottawa, but that’s as far west as I had been. Coming to Vancouver had always been a dream of mine and so I was elated when I was offered an interview at Hootsuite for Operations Engineering team. Though my previous few work terms had all been in software development, the job sounded great: working with Linux all day, managing Hootsuite’s many remote servers, and establishing the framework which allowed Hootsuite to grow as exponentially as it has.
I have really enjoyed my time here at Hootsuite. Since day one I have felt like I was part of the team. The culture here is unparalleled, and I would recommend it to anyone.