- Studying Computer Science at The University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) (2020)
- Spent 2 months at Hootsuite (July – August 2016)
- Joined our Publishing team
- Follow Rhys on Github
- Connect with him on LinkedIn
- Performed a variety of front end web development for the Hootsuite Publisher
- Created a UI test for the Hootsuite Bulk Composer using an in-house UI testing framework
- Fixed Content Security Policy related issues in Hootlet, Hootsuite’s Chrome extension
My ExperienceI first learned that Hootsuite offers internships for high school students when my friend and classmate, Emmanuel Sales, got an internship in the summer of 2015. As a result of him getting the position, my high school computer programming class got to go on a tour of Hootsuite’s HQ1 office. I was really taken aback at how neat the offices were, and told myself that I’d apply for an internship at the company next summer, should one be available. In my Grade 12 year, I did everything I could do to beef up my resumé and gain experience. I applied for the position when it became available and went through 2 phone screenings and an in-person interview. I received the email informing me that I got the job in the middle of my French class. Needless to say, my sudden celebration was loud enough to alarm my French teacher.
Working on Hootsuite’s Publishing team has made this the best summer of my life. I’ve learned a great deal about web development as well as developing software as part of a team, which is something that you can only get with experience. The skills I gained during this summer will be incredibly valuable down the road and I’d like to thank everybody at Hootsuite who gave me a hand in developing them.